Pages

Thursday 5 January 2017

YRDSB's Newest Supply Teacher!

On Wednesday, January 4th, 2017 at exactly 2:34p.m. my dreams of becoming An Elementary School Teacher had finally come true!

I have wanted to become an Elementary School Teacher ever since I was 8 years old. I would always play “school” with my sister and my younger cousins... and of course... I was the teacher! I was always interested in reading books, writing stories, and creating pieces of art. My parents and family always fostered my interests and supported my decisions so that I can continue doing the things that I love most. One amazing thing I never forgot as a child was that they gave me a Crayola crayon suitcase…I still have this suitcase today (see picture below). Many great art pieces in my childhood were created with this and many of our “school” days where I was “teaching” we used these crayons.





I even organized the colours by shade. Excellent organization skills since 8 years old!


At the end of grade 3, our teacher wanted us to draw a picture of what we wanted to be when we grew up so that she could put it in the yearbook for our class’s section. Of course, this was a no brainer for me…I drew a picture of myself as a teacher and what looks to be I am teaching mathematics at the time (see picture below).



As soon as I became a teenager I went to take a babysitting course so that I could begin a career working with children. As a young adult, I attended college and obtained my Early Childhood Education Diploma (With Honours). I knew teaching was my passion and continued my education in obtaining my Bachelor of Child Development Degree (With Honours) and my Bachelor of Education Degree (With Highest Distinction). That day was one of the greatest days of my life. The moment I walked across that stage marked the day I became an Ontario Certified Teacher (see picture below).



I would not have been able to accomplish all of that schooling plus the Additional Qualification Courses and Certificates that followed, without the love and support and guidance from my amazing family, amazing fiancé and amazing friends! I am very thankful for each role you all have played in supporting my dreams of becoming a Teacher!

After graduation I became a Designated Early Childhood Educator for York Region District School Board in a Kindergarten classroom so that I could gain valuable experience until I was hired as a Teacher. I met many amazing educators who guided me along the way. One of which, was my teaching partner Trista Dutt. She did not just view me as an assistant, rather as an equal partner with valuable skills and ideas. We worked together side by side to create a wonderful learning environment for not only our students, but for all educators who were part of our classroom and school community! Together we became one of York Region District School Board’s Learning @ Schools Kindergarten Demonstration Classrooms! This was only one of MANY amazing opportunities that I am so grateful to have had the opportunity of being part of.

Now, I look forward to what is in store for me within this Teaching role…and I absolutely cannot wait!

“It takes a big heart to teach little minds”

This quote resonates with me because I feel that I have a big heart when it comes to educating young minds and I care about the child as a whole. I always try to ensure that my students feel welcomed, included, safe, and respected. I provide learning opportunities that foster individual strengths, needs, interests, and abilities. I believe in student centred education and that learning is co-created between students and teachers.  I believe in lifelong learning as we never truly stop learning because we go through new experiences through our entire lifespan.



 I LOVE teaching!!! and I am so very happy that I now have the opportunity to inspire my students to LOVE learning!!! Here I come!! :)